Saturday, January 18, 2014

Even in Florida it is Cold When You Sleep Outside



I play trivia at a local restaurant every Saturday with a buddy. Trivia has always been something fun for me. I have always known bits and pieces of random trivia, and Saturday nights are a night I can show my bits of knowledge. 

When leaving trivia tonight a gentleman came up to my friend and me and asked for some money so that he could get something to eat. My friend and I told him the truth; we did not have any cash on us and that we were sorry. The gentlemen went on to ask the next person that came out, and we went on our way.

I didn’t think much about it until an hour later, I was walking to my car from the store next to the restaurant. I saw the man that asked me for money sleeping on a bench outside the store. He was not bothering anyone, but there he was trying to get comfortable. I stood there for a moment. Should I wake him and see if he got food? Is he going to be warm enough? Plus he was settling down to sleep. Do I disturb him? I just did not know what to do.

I will be honest, I do not usually give money to people asking for it. I really wish I could feel comfortable giving that money to them, but I am usually apprehensive for a few reasons. First, I gave a guy money once and I saw him buy alcohol with it and not food. Defeated the purpose of giving him the money completely. Second, I have seen so many news pieces on con artists that ask for money claiming they need it, but in actuality are doing very well. I usually help out at food banks or give money to charities to get the money in the right places.

So two thoughts. First, I almost never carry cash on me now. Debit cards are the norm for me. When cash is needed, there is usually an errand to be run to go get some. Maybe I should think about carrying some with me for special circumstances. Second, when did I get so jaded on helping another human being out? I hate doubting another person’s motives. That is not what Christ did. Christ jumped in and helped as best He could and as much as He could. It is moments like tonight that remind me for someone who is supposed to be Christ like; I am so far from it. I just frustrate me.

So what did I do tonight? Well I decided that I did not want to disturb him. I just hope that food did get to him. What I did do, was put a blanket and an old pillow I had in my car and put it on the bench next to him (not disturbing him) and left. Hoping he could come to a better use for both those things than me who just uses it for the occasional comfort. It is going to be a cold night tonight in Jacksonville, Florida. I really hope he can get some use with them. 

God take care of this unknown man. Keep him warm. Keep him fed.
Sincerely,

Chris

No comments: