Monday, August 4, 2008

The First Hurdle

"Reluctantly crouched at the starting line,
Engines pumping and thumping in time.
The green light flashes, the flags go up.
Churning and burning, they yearn for the cup." -"The Distance" by Cake

I am right now feeling awful. I have a cold. I get colds several times a year, although I am not sure why. It kind of stinks, but I did want to take a few minutes to tell you about an event that happened over the weekend.

I went in on Saturday to weigh in, like I normally do, and something very cool happened. I dropped a digit on the scale. I finally lost enough weight (35 pounds) that I am below 400 pounds for the first time in a while. I am now 398.8 pounds, and plan on NEVER seeing 400 pounds again. I still have a LONG way to go dear friends, but this was an awesome tangible fist hurdle.

The next hurdle is 8 pounds from now. That will be where I have lost 43 pounds, ot 10 percent of my initial weight. I will keep you posted on this.

When people decide to climb some of our biggest mountains on earth, (Everest, K2) they have to climb in stages. To climb Everest, it normally takes climbers 3 weeks just to get to the top. The travel is dangerous, and they have to take their time to have their blood get use to the elevation changes. I am kind of equating my weight loss to climbing Everest. It is take me time (wish it only took 3 weeks). I am going to stop at times, due to frustration or just sometimes weight loss stalls, but I plan on always continuing to climb. I have tried to lose this weight over 10 times...all failing...but you know something, it just takes one more time. It takes only one more time trying something before it takes in your life.

So I am at my first check point on this LONG climb to the top of my life. The top is still so far away. But you know, the top is a lot closer than it was 15 weeks ago.

Your Eternal Bud.

5 comments:

Laura Williams said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! we are SO proud of you!!!! just keep climbing, my friend!!!

lani said...

you are doing awesome!!! i know you will succeed. slow and steady is the way to go and you are gonna get there! :)

Brina Bat said...

They deftly maneuver and muscle for rank fuel burning fast on an empty tank...

Many Many congrats!! Keep on climbing.

The Road Runner said...

Keep up the good work! Your perseverence is inspiring!

Karisse said...

Good job, Chris! That inspires me. :)