Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Oddest Places

I am guessing that if you are reading this blog that you do know a little something about me. If you are reading this, and do not know me, then I must be boring the heck out of you. But that is not my problem.

I think 2 of the things you know about me, is one, I occasionally get a little moody, and two, me and my Dad do not exactly see eye to eye on really anything. Surprisingly, both of these facts came together today.

I was on one of my moods. I really did not want to see anyone, or do anything. But today was my oldest nephew Caleb's 3rd birthday. At 3:00 today I showed up at my sister's place with gift in tow (walkie-talkies, which my sister advised me Caleb really wanted), and I really did not want to be there. I wanted to be home, and watch movies, and just be away from anyone. But my uncle sense of duty was calling to me. It was time to spend time with people, let alone the most stressful people of all...family. The party started off good natured. My brother-in-law's family are very kind good natured people, and it was fine. My sister was kind of going crazy...but that was to be expected. My Mom was being hostess, and then my Uncle, Aunt, and cousin showed up. Then, I heard a strange voice coming from the front door. A deep voice that I had not heard in a while. My Dad.

You see my Dad was not suppose to be at the party. He called my sister and me and told me that he could not make it this time, but hoped to come for Eli's (my youngest nephew) birthday. And then, he showed up. Said that he was wanted to surprise us. Well that he did, and I was. I was surprised by my Dad, his wife, and her son Anthony.

Honestly, at first, I was sceptical. My stress-o-meter went to about a 40 on a 10 scale. If I was a cat, my back fur would be up. If I was a comic book hero, my spider-sense would be tingling. Usually when my Dad is around, I always get anxious, and gittery, and never feel good about it. My Dad and I are just about complete opposites. If it was not for the similar appearance in our faces, and love for the West Wing, and Gator football, there would not be anything that would relate us to one another. It is funny, but when he is around I all of a sudden become 10 again, and feel insecure, and like I am not good enough. But we are family. He is my dad.

But a surprising thing happened today. I did not feel 10. I felt like myself. And you know something, I laughed. I told jokes. My spirits lifted. I enjoyed myself more at the party. And afterwards I went and had dinner with my Dad and his family. Although tired, I enjoyed myself very much. I ahd a great time, and a great day.

Now, I am not saying that my Dad had to do with my change of mood. I am not sure if that was the case...but you know, I think he helped. He sure did not hurt my mood. And you know that is something. It is something that is potentially good.

Wow, it is late. I will go over thoughts about the last paragraph at another time.

Until then, I am your Eternal Bud.

But you

2 comments:

LHD said...

Im glad your day turned around...that's cool.

The Road Runner said...

It's great that you could do that with your dad. I know that it's hard to be around people that have had a really negative impact like that...