Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Agony of Da Feet, Marching for a Victory

As I said in the previous blog, I walked 2,5 miles for the March for Babies walk. Now to you average people, 2.5 miles may not sound like a lot. Heck it does not sound like a whole lot to me...but i reminded myself that I was walking for a good cause, myself.

You see, I raised over $500 for the March of Dimes, and that is awesome. By the way if you are reading this, and have not donated, even a little amount...there is still time. Go to the website, I mentioned in the last blog, and you can donate there. I raised the money in honor of my Godson Jacob, and his little brother Connor. I have blogged about Jacob before, and he is a great kid. So full of life, and fun (beats the poop out of me too!). So, i raised the money for him and his brother. But when it came to the walk, I did not want to do it. I was trying to think of so many excuses not to do it. I even prayed for rain. Nothing...no excuses, no rain...nothing. So, I decided to do something about it. I decided to walk, but I decided not to walk for Jacob, or Connor, or even my friend Lauren who asked me to raise money. I decided not to walk for the people that donated money in my name. Nope, I decided there was only one way to do this thing. I had to walk for me. I had to be the one that took the steps, and felt the pain. I had to be the one that got scared, because I could not take one more step, and was still able to go one. I had to want this. I wanted to walk the full 5K walk...until I found out it was not a 5K, but a 5 mile walk...which is a HUGE difference. But I got half way. And I was proud of myself. Prouder than I had been with myself in a long time. It was nice to be able to accomplish something. And you know something, I did not die. I did it...all on my own...with God's help. Trust me, I was in constant communication with Dad...and He was the one that gave me the strength to go as far as I did.

Again, let me focus on this walk...at over 400 pounds, I was walking for 2 or 3 people...and I did it. Imagine your spouse or signifigant other, jumping in your arms and carrying them 2.5 miles...that is what I did with myself. This is a huge accomplishment...one that I will be proud of the rest of my life. That 2.5 mile walk might just be the thing that helps save my life. We will see, but I want to work harder.

And next year will be even bigger (not me) and better. By losing this weight, I will next year walk the whole 5 miles. And I want to raise $1000 for the March of Dimes. So if you did not donate this year...I am finding you next year. And if you did donate this year...that does not let you off the hook either:)

So the agony of my feet became victory. God is good all the time.

Your Eternal Bud.

1 comment:

lani said...

i am so proud of you chris!! every step counts no matter what. i cant do much now, but next year please let me know as it gets closer and i'll save up some $ to donate for the cause. keep up the great work :)